Wednesday, October 15, 2008

World Cup 1, SLC



The national teams started to flood in a couple weeks ago to get used to the ice/elevation, there may be more, but the teams I see during practice are Latvia, Korea, Germany, Belgium, New Zealand (all 2 of them), Australia, USA (they're always here...), Canada, Netherlands, Russia, Holland, Haven't seen China but I know they're here, MONGOLIA (what??), and Poland. My favorite is Fran Jackson from NZL, shes been skating with us for a while now, along with Corey Williams from AUS who wont be competing because he broke his leg. Hes got screws in and hes back skating. I raced him for fun in long track last week and beat him so baaaad! Your thinking well duh hes recovering from a break, right? Well his short track 500m with a broken leg is still 4 seconds faster than mine... so it felt pretty good. :P

I guess the last couple weeks have been "tryouts" for block chasing for the world cup (moving the track, pouring water on it, squeegeeing it) and I was definitely not approved on the volunteer list...hahaha! Now your thinking what?! How can you mess up at pouring water on a track?? Trust me...its complicated and requires skill and technique. Too much, too little, not on the right track, in my case I couldnt even lift the bucket...etc! The last thing I want to do is do it wrong during the world cup and have multiple helmets thrown at me... haha!

So now im a Runner, which either means I take the results and post them around the rink, or take the skaters skate guards and warmups and bring them to the exit when they get off the ice. Should be fun! Racing starts friday at 10. This one should be live online at the US Speedskating site.

Heres my Credential!



Sorry these videos suck, theyre from my phone. They're blurry and I only get 15 seconds!

Here is a practice session from this morning with Germany, Latvia, New Zealand, and Belgium.


And heres Poland and Australia.

No comments: